- Atlas Smug – June 2014
- An edited version of my post Dear Marc Andreessen for Jacobin.
- Alone Together, Again – October 2012
- A biographical reflection for the inaugural issue of The Magazine, a digital bi-monthly.
Selected Press & Media
- Alex Payne, who helped build Twitter, returns to Portland – February 2015
- A profile of me by Mike Rogoway, tech & business reporter for The Oregonian/OregonLive.
- Code of Ages – December 2014
- Do big tech companies need to have their own programming languages? A look at Go and Swift by Scott Rosenberg for Backchannel.
- No Exit – April 2014
- A report on entrepreneurial struggles by Gideon Lewis-Kraus for Wired.
- “Silicon Valley is the new Wall Street”: Alex Payne – December 2013
- An interview with Aaron Task for Yahoo! Finance’s The Daily Ticker.
- The Dawn of the Personal Cloud – September 2013
- A report on my Sovereign project and related efforts by Chris Swan for InfoQ.
- Where the Tech is She? – May 2012
- A report on gender diversity in Portland’s technology industry by Ruth Brown for Willamette Week.
- Mobile Money – October 2011
- A report on Simple by David Wolman for Portland Monthly.
- New Languages, and Why We Need Them – July 2010
- A report on an event I organized, Emerging Languages Camp, by John Pavlus for MIT Technology Review.
- After 3+ Years, Alex Payne Quits Twitter To Create “A Bank That Doesn’t Suck” – May 2010
- A post about Simple by MG Siegler for TechCrunch.
- The New Suburbs, a Plane Ride Away – April 2010
- A report on Bay Area professionals relocating to the Pacific Northwest by Nick Wingfield for The Wall Street Journal.
- As Web Traffic Grows, Crashes Take Bigger Toll – July 2008
- A report on website downtime, referencing my Down for everyone or just me? tool, by Brad Stone for The New York Times.